Thursday 28 October 2010

Cannibals, Monsters & Santa Claus

I haven't been going out to the movies much recently, but I've got a pretty solid week of cool genre geekery coming up soon. Between the 6th and 12th of November, I'll be seeing a diverse trio of movies as part of two separate film festivals and an advance screening Q&A. All three are some of this year's most talked about flicks, so I'm pretty excited.



First up is this Finnish fantasy/horror film, directed by Jalmari Helander, which cleaned up at this year's Sitges Film Festival, taking Best Cinematography, Director and Picture. It looks to have been made in the spirit of that very particular '80s style typified by Spielberg's collaborations with Tobe Hooper and Joe Dante. Light, entertaining horror fare, but somewhat darker and edgier than the average kid's flick. I'm also a sucker for movies that are shot in the snow, and apparently Rare Exports looks terrific. This is screening as part of the Fantastic Planet SF & Fantasy Film Festival.



Two days later and I'll be catching one of my most hotly anticipated movies of the year - Gareth Edwards' Monsters. I love low budget films that manage to transcend their financial limitations, and the word is that Monsters achieves this in very clever ways. The main attraction for me here is obviously the titular Lovecraftian invaders (apparently, although the "reveal" is sparing, the FX are impressive), but I'm just as intrigued by reports of Edwards' vérité approach to location shooting - utilising real situations and crowds to gain a heightened sense of realism. This one is followed by a Q&A with Edwards. Cool!



Finally, I'll be seeing Jorge Michel Grau's We Are What We Are (Somos Lo Que Hay) as part of the Hola Mexico Film Festival. This tale about a family of cannibals has been getting raves from horror fans, and took home both the Best Feature & Screenplay awards at this year's Fantastic Fest. I know next to nothing about this one, and I intend to keep it that way. I want to taste it just as fresh as the flesh being devoured by it's protagonists!

So, it looks like a wall-to-wall week of pretty unique horror movies, all of which actually show some promise. As they say, "it never rains [blood], but it pours"!

11 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the verdict on these guys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been excited about Monsters for a good bit but I wasn't aware of these other two. Intriguing stuff, my friend, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds like a killer week of movies. Very excited for those to make it to my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list of stuff, and I've only heard of Monsters. Thanks for the heads up on more movies to research upon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monsters is quite good, I watched it last night. Remarkable for $15,000.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good, now I'm looking forward to it all the more. And I had no idea the budget was THAT low.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be compared to District 9 a lot, but they are very different beasts. Monsters is not an action movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. monsters is very good. So much better than cloverfield! And I love the very clever way it ends.

    (on a side note - the walking dead TV show is very good too!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like animes and i also watch hentai. and i love to play basketball also


    its kinda same as i seen on kisshentai.either way its cool tho

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like animes and i also watch hentai. and i love to play basketball also


    its kinda same as i seen on hentai.either way its cool tho

    ReplyDelete